The Dream House Diaries #1

As promised, I'm kicking off a new series today called...


A little background info:

My neighbours who live 2 doors down are moving and they have a house that needs to come down, which leaves a healthy 50x150 ft. lot behind for the taking...said neighbours have approached us asking if we'd be interested...and since I VERY much want to build my dream house and because this is literally the ONLY scenario where that can happen (taking budget into account,) I'm tempted to say the least.

On the flip side...I do quite love my own house and the thought of taking on a bigger mortgage, even if it's not that much bigger, is TERRIFYING.

Also...the whole having to rent while my house is being built thing...with 3 kids in tow...not so appealing either.

BUT...I could almost guarantee that this venture would be a good investment...and, it would absolutely be my dream to conceive and create the house that's just perfect for our family.

My little abode could easily suck up another 100k in roofing, windows and siding...not to  mention we need a back deck and a mainfloor bathroom...so...do we jump ship and start anew?

The million dollar question to be sure.

Also, if the dream house happens, the cottage will not...we definitely haven't won the lottery or anything...so....

...lots to think about.

In the meantime, I'm of course pulling as much inspiration as humanely possible and thought why not share...'tis the thing to do in blogland afterall.

I'm not sure why I've decided to start with staircases...totally random decision but here it goes anyways...

1. Love pretty much everything about this one...thin black spindles...floating...gentle curve...black treds.


2. Probably not something I'd ever actually do but I love how visually arresting this guy is...also very much like how the spindles attach to the oustside of the riser.


3. Crisp/thin black iron, mixed with wood teds = good.


4. Not a fan of the super ornate iron but LOVE the wall moulding and rounded bottom stairs.


5. Could NEVER happen with little kids in house but so delightful none the less.


6. White stone stairs with super rad glass and brass railing...oh lord yes.


7. Hard masculine concrete mixed with feminine glam brass...ohhhhhhh ya.


8. Lots of thin black spindles, topped in brass...totes a winning scenario.


9. Not much to have to explain on this one...everything about it is perfect.


10. Not keen on the barnboard but LOVE the delicate antique looking spindles and railing...would adore this on a concrete stair.


11. Not crazy about the spindles per say but in major love with the floating curve and light herringbone floors.


12. Curvy walls and an all black scenario is also good.


13. Absolutely EVERYTHING about this KW nirvana is appealing...brass modern spindles...black floating riser, that's curved no less...graphic runner...ALL GOOD.


When I take this lucky 13 and spin it altogether, I think the dream house would require some kind of floating curved staircase...the spindles would be thin and made of either brass or black iron...the stairs would convey the message of the whole house- old world glamour mixed with clean and modern restraint.

And the dreaming continues;)

Happy almost weekend friends.

xo
Photobucket