The Dream House Diaries #11- The Mainfloor Layout and its Details

Good day my friends.

It truly is here at casa Bijou because this sweet little nugget...


...is killing sleep training.

On night two, he literally whimpered for one minute, rolled over and proceeded to sleep 11 hours.

I'm utterly amazed.  

I've been through this process with two other babies and never has it been even close to this easy.

To say I feel blessed with this kid doesn't even come close to cutting it...he's just a gem among gems.

And because he's now a sleeper...


(PS...public service announcement....I got help on the whole training thing from a Sleep Doula...if you have a baby that doesn't sleep, you NEED to find one of these people in your area- they are a total god send and worth every single penny!)

...I feel like I might just get back enough brain power to blog more regularly and focus on things like...


We're making a whole lot of progress on the dream house front.

For one, we officially took possession of the lot and are busily working away on the existing structure so that we can rent it out while finishing off the design and permit process of the new place.

Our budget for said 'mini-reno' is $2000 and trust me when I tell you, with this place, that's not alot of cash to get 'er done as it were.

We're hoping to have all of the work done by Monday so stay tuned for some before and afters on that front.  I'm even hoping to semi-furnish the place with stuff from the POD on our driveway so we'll see how that goes.

And on the new house design front, we are making HUGE progess on the main floor layout.

My architect extraordinaire Wallace of wjb designs...


...is rocking the face off of the design process.

Unlike most firms that would give you a meeting here and there, Wallace indulges me at least once a week with design meeting fun...we sit over coffee and pour though ideas/inspiration/materials etc. for hours and hours.

It's already been the most amazing process and I can't wait to see what comes next.

Sir Wallace is truly making the house that's been stuck in my dreams come to life and I couldn't be more grateful.

I opened up my email yesterday to see round two of the main floor layout in my inbox and let me tell you...

I AM IN LOVE!!!


The lost is 50' wide, which is pretty standard in our hood...unless you have 2 mill to spend on lots alone and get a double spot.

And because of side set back zoning  rules, our abode can max out at around 44' in width...because I really have my heart set on a center hall plan, we've decided to situate the house sideways on the lot so that the front entrance will be on the east side.

From the drawings, you can see the covered, pillared porch on the right...that will lead people from the front yard to the side and the main entrance.

Once inside, they'll be greeted by a long and hopefully semi-grand entrance, with doors like these bad boys...

chic black lacquered door

The hallway of double doors will take everyone from room to room with formal spaces up front and the more relaxed, family spaces to the rear.

This is obviously not an open concept/great room scheme...I really want something more formal and traditional in feel...I've done the 'open' thing and with 4 kids and well, I'm ready for doors that I can close at will.

Some other things that have been officially decided on....

1. I want the hallway to almost be like a room in itself...


Jack Fhillips Designer - Greystone - Breezeway

With floors like these...


2.  There will be many fireplaces on the main floor...the kitchen one is at the top of my list...love the idea of this sort of business...

Kitchen of Brooke Shields Architectural Digest

3. All the doors you see on the plan that lead outside will be of the French variety...much like these...

I want those french doors.....ECLECchic: APARTMENTO PARISINO por Sarah Lavoine


...I'll happily take some Juliette balconies as well;)

4. There will be a 'breezeway' between the kitchen and family room...

pretty breezeway  Rugo/ Raff Ltd. Architects

breezeway by mary mcdonald...big blue ceramic pots...fiddle fig tree...

Single Family Home for sales at Wexford Hall 544 Oenoke Ridge, New Canaan, CT 06840 United States 


... that will lead out to a courtyard...

Beautiful Courtyard entry.

Gorgeous courtyard

courtyard

Courtyard


Courtyard

5. The staircase will have one of these guys above...

Skylight in Phillip's office

6.  The office will be manly.

To date, my husband has requested only three things out of this house:

a. a garburator
b. a built in ironing board
c. central vac

...as you can tell by the list, he's 'domesticated' ;)

Though this list reflects the sum total of his wish list, I'd like to do more...so...as much as I'd love to be selfish and do this...


...I'm instead going to be making this sort of thing happen for him avec the front office...

That blue.

dark paneling, like the lights on the bookcases

Library

I'm planning on paneling all the walls and lacquering them in a charcoal grey, that's hopefully going to be colour matched to the sofa that's currently in our living room...it's going to be built into the bookcases sort of like this...

Diana Parrish Design and Photography + Emerson et Cie via Masins Fine Furniture

7. The outside will be white stucco with this guy...


...and Tom Ford's abode...


...serving as inspiration.

And I think that about sums up the decision making front for now.

Stay tuned for the upstairs layout coming next week.

xo
Photobucket